Thursday, November 14, 2013

Strong Offshore Winds make Weak Waves Fun

Windsurfing yesterday gave me flashbacks to my former life in Nahant, Massachusetts. The weather was a bit chilly (I had to wear a shorty wetsuit for the first time this year), there was sand-blowing wind (side-offshore gusting 15-25+ knots), and I was able to plane on a shortboard to get frontside rides on knee-high swells.

Five Five 11-13-13 from James Douglass on Vimeo.

Small waves are a lot more fun when you can come at them already-planing and at a frontside angle. The waves don't have to be big enough to carry you along; they just have to be big enough to reflect your energy when bank a turn against them.

1 comment:

PeconicPuffin said...

Side off was a revelation to me. First time was in Hatteras...knee to thigh high waves at S turns with OBX Bill. Couldn't believe what a difference it made to hit them on a broad reach!