Sunday, December 20, 2009

Post-Florida Cold Shock

Yesterday I drove up from Florida to spend the holidays at my folks' place in Edisto Beach, South Carolina. It's kind of chilly here in SC - not by real winter standards, but by wimpy Floridian standards, certainly. It's kind of breezy, too. I was worried I might have lost my cold weather watersports mojo during my time in Florida, but it came back this afternoon as soon as I suited up in the ol' 6 mm wetsuit.

I decided to kite, since the flukey NW wind didn't look like enough to windsurf with my 6.6 sail. Also, since my dad hadn't seen me kite yet I really wanted to show off for him. The launch was in the South Fork of the Edisto River on the western side of Edisto Island. There's a lot of tidal current there, and it wasn't helping today. I could stay upwind when the puffs rolled through, but during the lulls I would end up downwind and have to walk back along the beach.

My dad took some pictures, which you can see on his blog. He also took some video, which I edited and set to "Valley of the Dolls" by Mylo.

Kiteboarding South Carolina in December from James Douglass on Vimeo.



In other news, it's nice being home with the family. I had the good fortune to be present today when my cute, 21-month old niece did her first poopie in the toilet.

No comments: