This is old news now for those who know me personally, but I thought I'd share it on my blog:
1. Over the winter I applied and interviewed for a faculty position as a "Seagrass Science" assistant professor at Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers.
2. Around the same time, I realized that my sweetheart Rhonda, aka Lady Notorious, was THE ONE for sure. So I started putting $$$ down for an engagement ring.
3. By some miracle, FGCU actually called to offer me the job! It was super exciting, but before accepting the position I had to ask Rhonda very nicely if she would be willing to move far away from her awesome family and job in New England to be with me in Florida.
4. My folks, who knew I was planning to ask Rhonda to marry me, were like, "You should propose SOON so she knows you're seriously committed and not just fooling around asking her to come to Florida." It seemed like fabulous advice, so instead of waiting until I had asked Rhonda's parents for permission and finished paying for the ring I went right ahead and asked.
5. After I poured my heart out and begged for a while she said "yes" - both to marriage and to moving to Florida. Woo hoo!
6. So July 31st is my last day in Nahant, then I'm hitting the road in a Penske Truck with my minivan towed behind it, followed by a little green sedan with Rhonda, her mom, and our bulldog Buri. Rhonda's mom is going to fly back after we get to Fort Myers. Buri will probably also want to go home, but we're going to get a special cooling pad and ice-filled kiddie pool for him to help him deal with the Florida swelter.
7. In the meantime, I have a shit-ton of seaweed research to wrap up here in at the Northeastern University Marine Science Center, but I'm looking forward to getting some more epic wavesailing sessions at Nahant before going to the windless and waveless Gulf Coast of Florida.