Sunday, January 24, 2016

Wavesup with Angulo Surfa 10'4 and Exocet WindSUP 10'2

The other day I paddled in the waves with my windsurf buddy Alex. He has a cool new board- an Exocet WindSUP 10'2, which is pretty similar in dimensions and design intent to my modified Angulo Surfa 10'4. I.e., it's intended to be a maneuverable mid-sized SUP board that also functions as a full-planing windsurf board. I had never tried Alex's board before, but he let me try it that day. I liked it. It was a little more nimble and quick to accelerate than my reconfigured Angulo, but also a little less stable and less forgiving of sloppy takeoffs and such, perhaps due to the narrower nose and tail. I was relieved that my own jerry-rigged board compared pretty favorably to the latest and greatest WindSUP... at least in paddle mode. I'd still like to try Alex's board with a sail sometime.

Surf SUP 1-15-16 from James Douglass on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Bryn Kaufman said...

I hope you get to review it with a sail. I have the Exocet WindSUP 10 and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is the dagger board slot. I had that professionally sewn up to keep it shut, and that works good, but it is fraying a little bit.

I did not get the 10'2" because I was concerned that a smaller board in terms of liters might not plane as early as the 10. It is 156 vs. 175 liters, so not a huge difference, but there were so many rave reviews about the 10 and 11.8" that it made the decision easier.

I don't wavesup the Exocet 10 as I put a 50 cm racing fin and foot straps on it. I wavesup my BIC WindSUP 10.6 as it has 3 fins so less fin depth for shore break, plus no foot straps so nothing to remove or get in the way. It is also a really tough board in case I do get caught in the shore break. The BIC is a ton of fun with a WindSUP sail in the waves too.

The WindSUP 10'2" is definitely on my radar screen. I like that it has no dagger board slot!

James Douglass said...

Hi Bryn,

I'll see if Alex will let me take a turn on the 10'2 with a sail sometime so I can let you know how it feels in that mode.

I actually like my Exocet 11'8 quite a bit in the waves. For shallow water I put a True Ames Surfgrass fin it. I think it's about 23 cm. I used to use centered footstraps, but now I've realized I can just leave the footstraps in the outboard position and have only my front foot in the strap when riding a wave. That makes it so I don't have to move the footstraps when I use the board for light wind freeriding- I just put in my 50 cm fin. It might be worth trying your Exocet 10 in the waves with a <25 cm fin.

-James