Friday, January 22, 2010

Shlogging with Sharks

Last weekend I discovered a place at the southern end of the developed part of Fort Pierce beach that has a really nice wave break. It's a shallow sandbar about 100 yards offshore, and the beach next to it is wide with no buildings, so it's sailable in offshore or side-off winds. Also, since it's shallow, it will break even when the waves are fairly small, which they often are when the winds are offshore.

The only problem is that it seems to be some kind of Chuck e' Cheeses for spinner sharks, Charcharhinus brevipinna. I probably saw more sharks leaping out of the water there when I sailed it after work yesterday than I have seen in the whole rest of my time windsurfing in Florida. I even got two leaps on camera (see video). Other than that, though, the windsurfing wasn't very exciting, because the wind was too light to plane or catch waves on my shortboard.

Windsurfing with Spinner Sharks from James Douglass on Vimeo.

6 comments:

Sergey Menshikov said...

Good stuff!

Catapulting Aaron said...

The only thing more dangerous than spinner sharks are spinner sharks with lasers.

George Markopoulos said...

Grendal would love this spot!

Frank said...

Great shoots of the sharks. They should know you are an intellectual PHD and not bite you. Ha!Ha! How are you getting along with your Mac? I see all these captions and credits. Looking good!

James Douglass said...

Sergey- Thanks!

Aaron- Tru dat.

George- Grendal? Like the monster from Beowulf?

Frank- I'm really liking the Mac for video editing. So far so good, at least.

Outdrsmn said...

Looked more like a Kona day.