Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cold as Heck, Windy as Hell

It's still summery in Florida. Here in Massachusetts, not so much. At least it's windy. Like, REALLY windy...

Friday October 15th wind readings from iWindsurf
Photobucket

I was able to get out on my 4.25 sail for the first time in many months. That was great, but it was tough readjusting to the twitchiness of a small sail while at the same time negotiating some challenging side-offshore wave conditions at the Nahant causeway. After a washing machine treatment by the waves I got dialed in enough to enjoy a few fast, down-the-line rides, although I wasn't exactly slashing the waves up like the pros in Cabo Verde. I took some GoPro helmet camera video and set it a song by Alice in Chains (see below).

Big Wind Nahant 10-15-10 from James Douglass on Vimeo.


Today looks to offer similar conditions, but with side-offshore winds from the NW instead of the SW. We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Henry Thomas said...

I have a 4.1 and have only used it twice - both times I was grinning ear to ear. The GoPro never seems to do waves justice. They always end up looking a lot smaller than they feel. Really enjoyed the thumping you left in the beginning - gives us a real sense of what it was like.

quidquid katie said...

All this wind has had me thinking of you, Jimbo! I've been meaning to text you but I don't have your digits. Will you email them to me? kmjdepalma at gmail.

JSW225 said...

Haha, welcome to the north. Where Windsurfing in Winter is a legal prerequisite to being declared Insane.