Thursday, September 22, 2011

Flooring-It on a Beginner Windsurfing Board

One of the best antidotes to windsurfing-gear-snobbery is learning to make good with less-fancy-than-your-own equipment while on vacation. I had a wonderful opportunity to do just that recently at my folks' beach house in Edisto Island, South Carolina. The gear that my dad keeps under the porch there consists of a 220 liter Fanatic Viper (85 cm wide beginner board with rubber-coated deck), an ancient 5.7 dacron sail, and a fairly modern 7.8 Aerotech Air-X that I left there a few years ago. I had used the stuff a few times before, but never in more than marginal-planing conditions. Monday, 19 September 2011, had 15 - 20 knots; definitely more than marginal-planing conditions.

Photobucket

Nevertheless, I opted to go for the bigger sail, since it's a better sail all-around, and since I figured the rather-heavy board would benefit from extra horsepower.

Photobucket

I also moved the board's footstraps from their inboard and forward positions to outboard and back positions more suited to well-powered blasting. I didn't move them ALL the way out and back, though, because I didn't think the 44 cm fin on the board would have enough lift to support a fully-outboard stance.

Photobucket

I put the u-joint fairly close to the back of the mast track because the water was rough and I wanted to be sure the nose was riding high enough not to stuff in the waves.

Photobucket

Things felt pretty good on my first run out- plenty of power, but the board was behaving well. A big double concave in the nose smooths out the ride. The footstraps felt like they were out and back enough to get good leverage over the rig and accelerate the board to full speed, but they weren't so far out and back as to cause problems with control in chop or spinning out the fin. The only tuning change I had to make was moving the harness lines back a bit to get the sail fully sheeted. Jibing was awkward compared to the shortboards I'm used to, but the board got around ok once I learned to be a little more patient with it.



I can't wait for the next South Carolina trip so I can ride it again!

PS- I should thank the photographer, Lady Notorious. It was her first trip to the South, not counting Disney World.

Photobucket

PPS- I should also mention some of the other fun parts of the trip. Such as getting to hang out with my Douglasses.

Photobucket

And such as getting up close and personal with South Carolina wildlife like these Littoraria irrorata marsh snails...

Photobucket

Photobucket

...these Uca pugnax fiddler crabs...

Photobucket

...and this Sciaenops ocellatus red drum...

Photobucket

...which I caught mostly by accident (and released) while trying to lure blue crabs to a piece of ham on a fish hook.

Photobucket